1. Home

Some Fashion Dolls Are Antique Dolls and Some Antique Dolls are Fashion Dolls...

By June 30, 2012

Some antique dolls are fashion dolls, but not all. Some fashion dolls are antique dolls, but again not all. Are you confused yet? I can take away your confustion if you will simply take a look at my latest articles--What is an Antique Doll? and What is a Fashion Doll?.

Comments

August 21, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(1) Pam says:

A few years back I bought a cabbage patch doll boy only because it was dressed in girls close would an error like that be worth anything?

August 21, 2012 at 11:08 pm
(2) Pam says:

A few years back I bought a cabbage patch doll boy only because it was dressed in a girls outfit would an error like that be worth anything?

August 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm
(3) Suzanne says:

I don’t think Cabbage Patch dolls are collectable dolls. I also don’t think that because a boy CP doll is dressed in girls clothes, that it would make it any more collectable, even if the clothes are original to the doll. Anyone could take a boy CP doll and a girl CP doll and switch the clothes. It doesn’t add valuable. If you are thinking of a doll as an investment, a CP doll is a poor choice. There are a few collectable dolls from the 50s and 60s and many older dolls that would be a much better investment.

August 25, 2012 at 1:59 am
(4) Joan says:

Denise, I love reading your weekly newsletter and wanted to throw in a couple of doll subject suggestions for future newsletters:

You have asked us about our “worst” doll moments, so how about our “best” doll moments?

How about covering the “look-a-like” dolls (eg. shirley temple types, sally vs patsy, etc.) but perhaps this might be too vast a subject because there were just so many.

Thanks.

September 1, 2012 at 11:35 am
(5) Joan says:

Hello again Denise, Here is another subject suggestion for one of your wonderful future newsletters:

Doll Buying
The most common places could be Doll Shows and E-bay . But speaking from past experiences on Thrift vs Antique Shops, it is cheaper to buy from the Antique Shop because they will value the doll more fairly as an “antique” with sometimes the possibility of a haggle if they’ve had the doll long enough, whereas the Thrift Shop will value the doll just because it is old, asking a flat, high price and making the only chance to lower it on a Half-Off sale.

October 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm
(6) Joan says:

Wrong or Right??

I’ve always been fascinated by kid leather bodies and I love being given the opportunity to make repairs on them for the better. I don’t mind waiting for parts either because the end result is always so rewarding and what’s the rush? Just the right size pair of forearms or a perfectly matched left thigh means the world. How satisfying it is to slowly add more sawdust and carefully reattach that little arm properly all the while invisioning how pretty she’s going to look. What kind of previous workmanship will I find? Am I the first to make this repair on her? Or were there others, and will I be jealous because I can learn from their lovely stitches, or will I feel proud that my contribution has now made her so much better? Of course ideally the dream is to add body parts from the same manufacturer and model for proper fit (wouldn’t that be nice), but reality says if you find something close enough well then … why not? So which is wrong and which is right? Is the correct answer when adding that prized Kestner shoulderhead, “the more mixing and matching, the less the doll is worth so I’d better wait”, or “if the doll has all of her parts this is what counts as now she can be dressed”? For me, I want my dolls to be complete when they are passed on, so I remember the following; I search for the closest fitting parts, I do the best repair job possible never rushing and as a rule looking down the road, I never never reattach something so securely that it will cause considerable damage should it once again have to be removed.

October 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(7) Maggie says:

I don’t know where to comment, so I’ll do it here. I’m really sorry to see that you are leaving this column. Best wishes with your reumatoid arthritis and with all your future endeavors. Thanks for your column, I enjoyed it!